September 24, 2009

Give unto others...

I'd like to thank everyone who sent me e-mail and left me comments wishing the Bambino a happy birthday.

Some of you were even kind of enough to ask if there was anything that you could do or get for him - even those of you who don't know the Bambino.........WOW!

While I am grateful that "strangers" would be so gracious as to want to give the Bambino a gift I would have to say that a different kind of gift would be even more appreciated.

I am a huge supporter of non-profit organizations & charities and also try to spread the word about the ones I truly believe in. I'd also like to deed that trait to the Bambino - if at all possible.

So if you'd really like to give a memorable and meaningful gift then please donate to any of the following organizations in the Bambino's name (not sure what his name is then click HERE):

  • Future Leaders of Rwanda - I am a huge supporter of education and realize that here in the States we are so blessed to have a public education system - albeit it is sometimes not the best but we have one nonetheless. Not all countries have this privilege. In Rwanda schools normally do not go beyond the 9th grade. My friend Alanna and her colleauges are working together to build a school for the children of Rwanda - the future leaders of Rwanda.
  • Donate Life - If some of you don't know why I am a huge supporter of organ donation then click HERE. Organ donation has been a part of my life since my dad's heart transplant in 2004. If it weren't for organ donors I know that I wouldn't have the chance to argue with my dad anymore and dammit do I love to jest with my dad. It has also given the Bambino a chance to get to know both of his grandparents and that is something special in itself.
  • Women's Commission for Refugee Women & Children - Everyday I tell myself that I am lucky even considering my current circumstances. I know this because I am not fleeing from my war-ridden country. I have not been torn apart from my children. I have not been thrown into slavery. I do not have to sleep at a camp worrying if my family is ok. I am here with my son and the knowledge that my family is safe. Not everyone has this sense of security. That is why this organization fights for the rights of those who do not have the comforts that we U.S. citizens do. That is why I am a big supporter of this mission.
  • International Catholic Migration Commission - I'll let my friend Alanna explain: We are doing a ton of work with displaced Iraqi families and kids, including through remedial and catch-up education programmes to get the kids back in school again and, last year, 60% of all Iraqi families that were permanently resettled to the US passed through our programmes, which include medical screenings and care, legal support, cultural orientation for the US and English language classes.
    We also do a lot of work in Pakistan with children (in partnership with UNICEF) and in Asia, mostly with victims of human trafficking and gender-based violence.
  • Cradles to Crayons - Fortunately the Bambino has me and our family to provide him with love, food, milk, diapers, clothes, a home, etc. Unfortunately not all children do - please help stop this. This is a wonderful organization that provides clothes, toys, school supplies, etc. for children 0-12 years.
  • Friends of Maddie - I read Heather Spohr's blog everyday and everyday I am thankful to still have the Bambino in my present and physical life; that I can hug and kiss him everyday. My heart goes out to the Spohr family and I jump for joy for their "coming soon" daughter, Binky. Friends of Maddie was created after the Spohr's first daughter, Madeline, passed away this April. It is an organization that supports families with critically ill babies in the NICU - something they wish they had had when their Maddie was sick. A related foundation is The Liz Logelin Foundation - founded by her husband Matt Logelin. I suggest you check out that organization as well.

Those are the organizations that I'm hoping can reach their financial aid goals because they do so much for people in need. If you do not feel inclined to support the listed charities then we are huge supporters of foundations dealing with women & children, education, music, art, and families in need.

Thank you for your support folks!

Always,

Restless Mama & the Bambino

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails