a) Single mother who started from pregnancy?
b) Single parent from a divorce?
This question was raised while I was interviewing someone for an article this past Saturday. It's a great question and a good point. Different types of single parents exist in our world:
- Single mother from unplanned pregnancy
- Single mother from planned pregnancy [read artifical insemination]
- Single mother by choice adoption
- Single mother from a divorce
- Abandoned single mother
- Widowed single mother
- Widower(ed?) single father
- Single father from birth - the mother either abandons or simply chooses not to have custody of the child
- Single father from a divorce
- Single teen parents
So who is it easier for?
Also, I've noticed that there are more and more teen pregnancies happening in Hawai'i but does that mean that the majority of single parents in Hawai'i are teenagers? Or are they older single women with unplanned pregnancies or divorced single parents?
I'll be exploring these questions for awhile and will be following up on my Examiner.com page which sadly hasn't been updated for some time.