September 14, 2009

An Oldie but Goodie

Dear Bambino,

Mama's been a little crazy and busy but I wanted to still honor your birthday month so I leave you with an old post I had written from before you were born - with a few comments beside them.


10 things I'm looking forward to becoming a mama (we'll start with #10 and work our way up):

10. Breastfeeding/ providing nourishment for someone I love. It's exciting to think that a woman's body is built to provide such a wonderful gift such as nourishment for another life (while it's in and out of her body). I also look forward to the bonding time of breastfeeding.  This ended up being my favorite thing to do for you because I really just felt like all of me was being given to you.

9. Bath time - water has always played a huge role in my life (from taking a shower (calming me) to kayaking on a stormy day (exciting me)); I like to think that it comes from my Hawaiian background. I'm excited to show him how much fun he can have in the water and also when he's older teach him the importance of water.  You really like bath time - especially now that you have the WHOLE tub for yourself.

8. Reading to him. This is something I've sort of already started. When I received some of the books from the baby shower I read them to him and it felt like he was responding to the stories (especially The Giving Tree). I remember my dad used to read to me when he tucked me into bed, that's a memory I cherish always and would like to continue that tradition. It's a time to help him relax and expand his mind, from the womb until he says, "Mom, I can tuck myself into bed now."  You could really care less about me reading to you - you'd rather devour the words yourself....literally.  You open your mouth wide open and just plant it on the book.  You're funny baby!

7. Going for walks. Walking is my favorite activity EVER! It's something I do wherever I go and in whatever mood I'm in. It's what helped me lose weight in Norway and what helps me stay in shape for the baby's delivery. It's also a time for thinking or making wishes. One particular walk with my best friend Megan resulted in one of my wishes coming true - my dad's heart transplant. I'm excited to walk him in his carrier, stroller, him holding my hand, to walking side by side, showing him the beauty of the world and that there's still beauty in the "ugly".  You love going for walks with mama and you'll be walking soon.  I'm so excited for when we get to hold hands during our walks or see you chase birds or dogs. 

6. The "uh-oh" moments: wetting his bed, falling off his bike, accidentally or purposefully breaking something, not getting a good grade on a test, etc. I'm excited to teach him that it's ok to make mistakes as long as he learns from them, even if he has to learn from them twice. As Dory the fish would say, "Just keep swimming."  We've had a few of these and everytime I scoop you up - you stop crying.  I love that I'm able to help you feel better; soothe you.

5. The "Aha!" moments: walking, learning how to use the toilet, riding a bike, driving a car, finding out what being in love is, and the list goes on. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch them on camera.  Goodness my love you've reached so many milestones in such a short amount of time - I'm so excited for you and proud of you.

4. Teaching him the importance of family and that family is what you make it. It's important to understand that he will have so much love from his family: grandma & grandpa, aunts & uncles, the extensive list of cousins, and my friends. I want him to understand that family isn't always about blood (though it is fun to know your ethnic background) but the natural ability to love someone unconditionally - those who you're able to do that with are your family.  You have such a big family and with a big family comes BIG LOVE.  You are so blessed.

3. Fixing his "boo boos": letting him know that I will always be there no matter what. I will kiss his scrapes even if they're on his bum (of course until he's of a certain age) and clean and bandage them. I want him to know that there's always someone to pick him up when he falls, especially me.  Again, I just put you in my arms and the world is a better place for you.

2. Snuggle time. I'm so excited to finally hold him and kiss him. I'll be excited for those nights when he can't sleep on his own and needs the warmth of his mommy's body to help him sleep. Even now I cradle my belly and tell him I love him, to his first breath in this world I will hold him, even when I'm not longer physically present on this earth hold him I will still cradle him with my love.  You are the biggest snuggle bug EVER and I love it.

1. Saying "I love you" everyday. Need I say more?  Every chance I get I tell you that I love you.
 
I love you very, very much.
 
Love,
Mama

1 comment:

Amber, The Unlikely Mama said...

"6. The "uh-oh" moments: wetting his bed, falling off his bike, accidentally or purposefully breaking something, not getting a good grade on a test, etc. I'm excited to teach him that it's ok to make mistakes as long as he learns from them, even if he has to learn from them twice. As Dory the fish would say, "Just keep swimming." We've had a few of these and everytime I scoop you up - you stop crying. I love that I'm able to help you feel better; soothe you."

Absolutely LOVE this idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails