March 6, 2007

A language lost?

Tuesday, March 06, 2007
A language lost? Current mood: determined
With a recent addition to the Kamaka clan comes another beautiful Hawaiian name.....as a middle name. While I was researching the meaning of my new cousin's middle name (Noelani, which means Beautiful child from Heaven), I also happened upon some articles talking about how the Hawaiian language is lost. It used to be that at least one relative in the family spoke Hawaiian and I think they were also the ones who gave out the Hawaiian name....Jess correct me if I'm wrong but nowadays it's difficult finding anyone in the family who actually speaks fluent Hawaiian. It's rare to find Hawaiians speaking the old language with each other. Now I plan to do some more research on this because I'd hate to be giving out wrong information but I feel that it's so true. A language that should be native to me is completely foreign.
This is another reason why I won't join the Peace Corps, since all I would be able to do is teach English. I refuse to teach this language to someone in their homeland where it'd be better for me to learn their language. Anyway, this is a very disconnected blog but what I'm getting at is I think it's sad that languages around the world are being lost. Not to be revolutionary, which I don't think I am, but I do think it's time for me to stop messing about and start learning about my heritage. I've got two native languages that I should know: Hawaiian and whatever they speak on the island of Chuuk. Time to get in touch with my roots. My problem is, I'm not ready to move to the places of my blood....yet.
Anyway, that's what I've been up to today. I'll be posting another blog about this when I've gathered more information.
Job searching is a bitch. This is my welcome to the real world. I had to grow up sometime.
Over and out-

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails